Alphabetical

What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died?

That she was beautiful. And brilliant. That she loved
Mozart and Bach. And the Beatles. And me. Once, when she
specifically lumped me with those musical types, I asked her
what the order was, and she replied, smiling, 'Alphabetical.'
At the time I smiled too. But now I sit and wonder whether
she was listing me by my first name - in which case I would
trail Mozart - or by my last name, in which case I would edge
in there between Bach and the Beatles. Either way I don't
come first, which for some stupid reason bothers hell out of
me, having grown up with the notion that I always had to be
number one. Family heritage, don't you know?


~Love Story, Erich Segal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edith Piaf interview (La vie en rose)

For no particular reason