The third and final continent

Whenever he is discouraged, I tell him that if I can survive on
three continents, then there is no obstacle he cannot conquer. While
the astronauts, heroes forever, spent mere hours on the moon, I
have remained in this new world for nearly thirty years. I know
that my achievement is quite ordinary. I am not the only man to
seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first.
Still, there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled,
each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which
I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when
it is beyond my imagination.

~ 'The third and final continent', Jhumpa Lahiri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edith Piaf interview (La vie en rose)

For no particular reason