I remember when Sandy sent me this tape I listened to it and said, ‘gee this is a little on the corny side.’

So I sat down and I tried to think, what this song is about.

And I guess there was a time when people felt that music provided us with a greater sense of unity, a greater sense of vision and purpose than it does today.

And my generation, was a generation that was going to change the world, somehow we were gong to make it a little less lonely, a little less hungry, a little more just place.

But it seems that when, when that promise slipped through our hands, we didn’t replace it with nothing but lost faith. Now we live in times that are pretty shattered, I’ve got my music, you’ve got yours, the guy up the street he’s got his, and you could kind of sit back and say, not cynically but truthfully that maybe, that maybe all men are not brothers, and maybe we won’t know who or what we are to each other.

But I think Harry instinctively knew that it was going to take a lot more than just love to survive, That it was going to take a strong sense of purpose, of duty and a good clear eye on the dirty ways of the world.

So in keeping his promise to himself, he reminds us of our promise to ourself. And that tonight, alongside Harry it’s that promise that his spirit would have us remember, and honor and recommit to.

So do something, and may his song be sung.

Bruce Springsteen, Harry Chapain memorial (Remember when the music)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Edith Piaf interview (La vie en rose)

For no particular reason